My husband thought it was weird when I made a counter top spray with vinegar and then wanted to add it to our mop water. Then I started using cider vinegar when making my shampoo. He teased me that I thought vinegar was the solution for everything….then we moved to Uganda.
If you have seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding the dad in that movie thinks that windex is the solution for everything. Got an ache? Blemish? Whatever… Just “put some windex on it”.
I’m totally that guy…. I just “put some vinegar on it”.
One week in Uganda and here’s what I did with vinegar:
1. Produce Wash– Spray it on fruits and veg as followed by hydrogen peroxide spray to remove E.coli strains
2. Countertop Spray– 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water in spray bottle (not a sanitizer… but it does make it clean)
3. Fabric Softener– Add to 2 tbsp to wash laundry to cut the soap residue (reduces stiffness of line dried clothes)
4. Floor cleaner– Add 1/4 cup to bucket of mop water for floors
5. Mold Killer– Pour on mold in the grout between the tiles in the bathroom
6. Sooth sunburn– spray 1/2 vinegar 1/2 water mixture on the burn
7. Stain/grease remover– Sprinkle baking soda onto stains then add vinegar and watch the stains disappear
8. Fruit fly trap– Add cider vinegar and a drop of dish soap in a small jar to trap fruit flies
9. Hair Conditioner– Use cider vinegar as the conditioning step in making shampoo
10. Facial Toner– Combine cider vinegar, water and lavender essential oil
So now my kitchen smells like vinegar, my floors smell like vinegar, my laundry smells like vinegar, my bathroom smells like vinegar, my hair smells like vinegar and my face smells like vinegar.
Whatever the problem, vinegar is the solution.
I think the obsession comes from everything feeling dirtier than in the states (or it actually is dirtier). So when I normally wouldn’t even think about cleaning something, now I am OCD about it. My alternative to vinegar is bleach, but I would much rather deal with everything smelling like salad than burning off my nose hairs.
‘Ah. Oh well.
Maybe my husband will start to think that the cider vinegar smell on my face is sexy…. maybe….
Some Resources to check out on info about using vinegar effectively:
Clean & Sanitize the Kitchen
Produce Washes (explains why bleach is not an acceptable wash)