I have the privilege of learning from an expert Mandassi maker, Beatrice. Before Beatrice was working for me she would wake up every morning and make Mandassi to sell to the local businesses. They will still ask her on occasion about the next time she’s available to deliver Mandassi. (She’s just that good) 🙂
So I thought I would share the recipe for you guys who would like to give them a shot.
Mandassi are about as nutritious as a doughnut and they remind me of a New Orleans Beignet… So, of course, we buy them every Saturday to have with our coffee!
4 c all purpose flour
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/4c oil slightly warmed
3/4c Warm water
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder.
2. Add oil and cut up with hands.
3. Add the water and combine till evenly doughy throughout.
4. Cover the mixing bowl and let dough rest for at least 1 hour or until gluten makes the dough stretchy when you pull it.
5. Knead for 1 min on lightly floured surface
6. Roll out with rolling pin into circle that is 1/2 inch thick
9. Drop into fry oil and spoon oil over the top (or use enoughoil to cover all of dough when frying)
If you give it a try let me know how they turn out!