Ok, so I know that the fish of choice for almost everyone is either Salmon or Tuna…. but we just don’t have those in Uganda. So Tilapia its as close as I can get since I CANNOT get a hold of any of those amazing Omega-3 filled cold water fish. At least I know that our Tilapia aren’t farm raised, but caught in the wild in the lakes of Uganda.
So the other night I had prepared french fries but I had been too lazy to grind beef for burgers (yes, I have to grind my own beef), so I thought fish and chips would be a nice alternative. The avocado cream sauce was an easy little addition. So here you go!
- 2 Tilapia fillets
- 1/2 cup yogurt or buttermilk (if going non-dairy you can use 1/2 cup almond milk and 1/2 tsp of cider vinegar)
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup Cassava flour
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- Fry oil
- Pour the yogurt into a shallow dish and mix in salt and pepper to taste.
- Place fillets into yogurt mixture and let sit for 10 minutes then flip to coat the other side for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine cassava flour and creole seasoning on a plate and begin to heat your fry oil over medium heat.
- After the fillets have marinated in the yogurt lay onto the cassava flour mixture and coat both sides well.
- Fry in the fry oil for 2-3 minutes on both sides till done. DO NOT heat the fry oil too hot since the cassava flour burns more easily.
- Place on paper and serve with Avocado Cream Sauce.
Avocado Cream Sauce
- 1/4 cup mashed avocado
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 Tbs lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
The avocado cream sauce ingredients are a general estimate. Feel free to add more or less of anything to your tastes.
Hope you guys enjoy!